A BRIEF HISTORY
The First Presbyterian Church of High Point was founded on September 3, 1859 with eleven charter members and the Reverend Pleasant Hunter Dalton as its first minister. A church building was constructed on English Street at a cost of $1,234.00 for the lot and building. Reverend Dalton served the church on two different occasions, and his ministry ran through Civil War days when the church building was used as a hospital for sick and wounded soldiers. Several of his descendents arecurrent members of this church.
Beginning in 1913, the Reverend Charles P. Coble served as minister for seventeen years. As the church membership increased, the congregation realized the need for larger facilities. As a result, the existing Gothic sanctuary was constructed on our five-acre lot on North Main Street. The sanctuary, the church's third, was first used for a worship service on Easter Sunday, April 1, 1928. Our sanctuary helps us appreciate the majesty and holiness of God, and it reminds us of our Scottish heritage in that it resembles cathedrals in Great Britain. The church's indebtedness for the building was retired and the dedication service was held on Thanksgiving Day, November 28, 1946 under the ministry of Dr. Paul Tudor Jones.
Our late Pastor Emeritus, Dr. Roy Edward Watts, accepted the Call in 1951 and the church proceeded to increase its membership to over 1,200 members. Dr. Watts served the church faithfully for sixteen years, and was succeeded by Dr. William Kirk Allen, Jr., who served for seventeen years until his retirement in 1983. Dr. Scott Woodmansee, the church's next minister arrived in June 1983, and served in earnest until his retirement in 2000. Our current minister, Dr. Ken Broman-Fulks was called to the church in November 2001. Dr. Broman-Fulks along with our Associate Minister Rev. Erin Bower continue to provide caring, compassionate care for all of our members, still numbering over 1,000.
First Presbyterian Church has always stressed the importance of outreach to the community, both in terms of sharing the faith and with regard to helping the less fortunate. May we always remember that we do not witness to ourselves but to God in Christ as we go forth in mission with Christ's presence, forgiveness and strength.